Pregnancy over 40? Why not?
Motherhood, even at an older age, is an inalienable right of every woman. The modern way of life is mainly responsible for this prolonged procrastination. The multidimensional role of women in today’s society, the increased professional demands and the unfavorable environmental conditions in the big cities have contributed to the delayed decision to become mothers.
In recent years a large number of women decide to have a baby at the age of 40 and over. Pregnancy and maternity, at that age has its advantages and disadvantages.
The advantage in becoming a parent at an older age is that:
- You have significantly larger life experience that makes you wiser
- You had time to grow and see the world
- Your decision is more mature and it is taken under deep consideration and responsibility
- You have greater financial security and feel more comfortable in your work environment
- You have chosen your partner based on more solid criteria
- It has been proven that older mothers are more educated and more capable of making the best decisions when raising their children.
- Women are more likely to breastfeed and make healthier diet choices for their children.
The disadvantage of deciding to be a parent in an older age has mostly to do with objective reasons:
- You may encounter difficulty in conceiving
- The number of oocytes decreases over the years and both the risk of miscarriage and genetic abnormalities increase.
- Similarly, pregnancy related health risks increase such as high blood pressure or diabetes.
- Even older men are affected, as sperm quality deteriorates over time, which may lead to genetic diseases.
It is indubitable that after 40, the chances of conception are lower compared to prior years. In some cases, it may even be impossible. With the aid of science and technology however, a woman unable to naturally conceive, may have a healthy child through fertility treatments or IVF and live the miracle of life.
Therefore, if you are considering pregnancy over 40, find a doctor who specializes in fertility issues and who can properly guide you through the process.
Keep visiting our blog for the latest IVF news in Greece.